Why are you renovating?
If you’re renovating with a view of making more of a profit when you sell your home, you’ll have to consider your renovations from a buyer’s viewpoint. Instead of asking yourself “What do I want?” ask “What would potential buyers want?” and design your plans around that.
If you’re renovating for your own liveability you can be a little more selfish. Just remember, at some point you will sell your home, so it pays to consider every change carefully.
- How much space is available?
- Are your foundations solid?
- How is your wiring and plumbing?
- Which kinds of tradespeople are you going to need and what can you do yourself?
Understand the regulations
Plan your budget
The fun part
- How well will your renovation blend in with your overall home plan and current décor?
- How environmentally friendly and energy efficient will your renovation be? Check out the Australian government tips here.
- If you’re renovating for a quick profit be careful not to over capitalise. You may not want to invest as much into the project as you would if the renovation were to help you and your family continue to grow in the home for the next 10 years.