Decide where to go
- When to travel: In Australia, consider the school holidays and, if abroad, be sure to check out the weather, so you don’t land during rainy season.
- DIY or organised tour: Do you want to plan your own itinerary or have it all done for you?
- Your leave allocation: Do you have enough leave allowance or will you need to take some unpaid leave?
- Hotel or self-catering: Are you after some five-star luxury or the flexibility that comes with having your own cooking facilities?
- Packages and bargains: Keep your eyes peeled for last-minute internet deals and advertised packages in the travel sections of your favourite newspaper.
Write your 'must see and do' list
Plan your holiday budget
- Travel insurance
- Spending money
- Food, drinks and eating out
- Entertainment and activities
- Travel to and from the airport
- Covering utilities, home loan repayments, and credit card payments while you’re away
We have a number of straightforward savings plans with competitive interest rates you can choose from our:
- Online Saver Account
- Star Saver Direct Account
- DIY Super Saver Account
- Christmas Club Account
- Cash Management Account
Looking for a loan?
If you need some help funding your holiday, we could be able to help. Our simple personal loan comparison table lets you compare loans quickly and easily. You can apply for loans from as little as $5,000 and up to $50,000 for that trip of a lifetime. You can apply for a personal loan online or at any branch.
Organise your travel money and insurance
- Organise your travel money - consider whether travellers cheques or a travel money card is the best option for you.
- Consider organising a credit card to take with you in case of an emergency.
- Manage your finances overseas with the Australian Military Bank Online Banking and Mobile App.
- Buy your travel insurance – this will cover any specified medical expenses, costs related to travel delays, lost or stolen documents and lost or delayed luggage.
- Contact us to let us know before you head off overseas. This avoids a temporary hold being put on your card if we notice anything suspicious on your account.
- Know your credit or debit card PIN before travelling. Some countries no longer accept a signature, so be prepared.
- Register your trip on smarttraveller.com; it’s an especially useful website for all the latest travel warnings.
- Leave copies of your itinerary and travel documents with a trusted friend or family member.